Zebrafish ECG system
Zebrafish ECG system
In cardiovascular drug discovery, Zebrafish are used to model such processes as thrombosis, collateral vessel development, inflammation, cardiomyopathy, and cardiac regeneration.
The iWorx ZS-200 Zebrafish ECG Recording and Analysis System provides an ideal way to use this cost-effective model for high throughput, rapid screening of compounds. The LS-30ECG LabScribe3 ECG Analysis Module provides an array of analysis options including T and QT segment shortening and prolongation which are a key indicator of cardiac function.
The ZS-200 provides a compact, easy-to-use and non-invasive solution for investigation of cardiac side effects of a vast number of molecules.
Missinato, Maria A., et al. “Dusp6 attenuates Ras/MAPK signaling to limit zebrafish heart regeneration.” Development145.5 (2018): dev157206.
Zebrafish ECG Recording and Analysis System
The ZS-200 Zebrafish system provides a compact, easy-to-use and non-invasive solution for investigation of cardiac side effects of a vast number of molecules.
The system features:
■ Cost-effective, simple method for rapid, consecutive measurements
■ Small footprint increases data flow and helps go/no go decision making
The iWorx ZS-200 Zebrafish ECG Recording System consists of:
- IX-100F Recorder (5 in. x 4 in. x 2 in.) optimized for recording microvolt ECG signals from Zebrafish. The System has a system noise of about 1 microVolts with the electrodes shorted. Zebrafish ECG is between 30 – 200 microVolts, providing adequate signal-to-noise ratio for analysis of the different components of the ECG signal. (see specifications below)
- A-ZEC-200 Zebrafish ECG Recording Chamber. The Zebrafish chamber has been optimized for recording ECG from Zebrafish that are between 1” to 2” in length. The chamber (4 in. x 2 in. x 3 in.) consists of the following components:
– Aluminum enclosure that is grounded to reduce 60 Hz noise.
– Fish pedestal with a machined cavity to make it easy to place the fish on its back.
– A thumb screw with a swivel mechanism to position the electrode on the fish.
– Replaceable electrode holder with AgAgCl electrodes.Shielded electrode cables used to carry the small ECG signal from the fish to the recorder. This reduces the 60 Hz noise that is picked up by the system.
- Ag/AgCl electrodes (1.5 mm Diameter) are used for recording the ECG
from the surface of the Zebrafish. A set of 3 electrodes is provided
with the system.
- Size A electrodes are placed 0.125” (3.2mm) apart.
- Size B electrodes are placed 0.150” (3.8mm) apart.
- Size C electrodes are placed 0.175” (4.45mm) apart.
- iWorx LabScribe3 ECG Analysis Software
Simple, Non-Invasive Protocol
Preparing the Chamber:
Raise the electrodes, and clean them with water. Apply electrode gel to the electrodes.
The Zebrafish is placed in a 2-phenoxyethanol anesthetizing solution (1:1000 dilution) for approximately 2-3 minutes until there is minimal gill motion. The pedestal is removed from the chamber. The fish is then positioned on its back on the pedestal. The pedestal is placed in the chamber such that the fish is under the electrodes. The position of the first electrode should be just below the gills of the fish, along the midline. The electrodes are easily maneuvered up and down along the Z axes with a thumb screw. The electrodes can now be lowered until they just touch the fish. The swivel machanism allows the electrodes to mate with the body of the fish. The electrodes are placed on the fish and data is recorded for 5 – 10 minutes. The fish is then placed in a recovery bath. The amplified ECG curves are recorded and analyzed using iWorx LabScribe ECG Recording Software. Several measurements can be performed in one set-up, consecutively, with minimal delay.
Caring for the Electrodes:
After recording is completed, the chamber is rinsed with water to remove any residual gel. If the electrodes need resurfacing, they can be resurfaced using very fine sand paper.
LS30-ECG iWorx LabScribe ECG Software Module is a powerful and user-friendly tool intended to automate the analysis of ECG data from a variety of species.
Specific analysis templates are included to accurately delineate PQRST onset, durations and amplitudes. Custom templates can also be created based on unique ECG profiles and saved to a library for future use. Other features include beat averaging, beat classification and outlier removal based on abnormal R-R intervals, heart rate, noise and activity, as well as the ability easily extract source data and average data as images or text files.
The LabScribe3 ECG Software Module includes a comprehensive list of 24 calculations including R-R, PR, QT, QR and QTc intervals, QRS, T, P and TP durations, P, Q, R, S, T amplitudes and ST elevation. The software module is plug and play compatible with all iWorx data acquisition and analysis systems. A separate ASCII Text Import Module is also available that enables import of ECG data in text format that was recorded by any other acquisition program.
Zebrafish ECG Recording (video)
Zebrafish ECG Analysis (video)